Wednesday, August 5, 2009

We only had 4 million sperm post-wash, and of that, only 74% were mobile. WTF? I was so upset I started crying in the procedure room (like a baby) and ended up crying the whole way home. I know I should be thankful that we had 3 million good, strong, moving sperm, because plenty of people have so much less than that, but I'm really upset. It just makes all my pessimism and lack of hope these last few days seem justified.

I know I can't be mad at N. for his low counts, but I am. Let me explain why...I've been asking him for the last two months to take these fertility vitamins the uro gave us back in June. The uro said they would help with his morph at the very least. Well, N. has the memory of a freakin rock, and if I didn't remind him every freaking night, he forgot to take them. I finally got the the point where I said, "If this is important to you, you will make it a point to remember to take them." He didn't. To be fair, he is a man, and men seem to have trouble having faith in the unseen--if I can SEE that the vitamins are working, they aren't working; therefore, why would it be in the forefront of his memory?

So, I am mad because I can't even say, "Well, babe, you tried your best and this is all we got," because he didn't try at all. I can't say we gave this our all, because Igave it my all, but he did not do the one simple thing that could have helped. Even still, I can't be angry...what's done is done and we have to work with what we got.

Our 2nd IUI is tomorrow. The RE said we would expect to see an even lower number tomorrow. Awesome. $250 for the teeniest bits of sperm. She assured me, though, that we still have a little less than 20% chance, and that this is worth trying.

It only takes 1 sperm...I know this, but if we had no success with 2.5 TIMES the sperm last cycle and the same follicle scenario, why on Earth would I feel positive about this cycle?

EDIT: N. just got home from work and was telling me about how he dropped a tool today and it hit him in the family jewels. He said his first thought was our IUI tomorrow. "I don't want to be a fuck up for a second day," he said...Aww...I know he cares.

2 props:

K8e said...

Oh I'm sorry his numbers weren't great....but 4 million to 1 is a pretty good ratio. I am glad they will do b2b iui's though.

It is a very frustrating situation with your DH. Mine is very forgetful about things like this too.

Try to feel positive about this cycle a little. I think being positive does help. Do something fun for yourself this afternoon! Just think soon we will be back at school. BLAH!

JackieMac said...

I am so sorry you are so upset - I remember at one of my IUI's only having 5 million and I was upset so I know what you are going through. I have to also lay out my DH's vitamins every single night or he does not take them - men - ugh.

Wishing you the best of luck that this IUI works.