Friday, March 19, 2010

Well, if it's not one thing....it's another!

Went for a growth ultrasound on Thursday because Baby has been measuring about 2 weeks ahead consistently since about 24 weeks. Luckily, Baby is average size, so no problems in that area.

I do, however, have an "aging placenta." Have you even heard of such a thing??? It's basically the calcification of the placenta, which generally happens a little closer to deliver. The placenta gradually hardens and cuts off blood and oxygen flow to the baby. Again, totally normal, but not necessarily at only 34 weeks.

Doctor said it is a Grade 1, which is toward the low end of the 4 grades. Although what I am finding online is that the grades are 0, 1, 2, 3 not 1, 2, 3, 4. He said this is generally a condition found in smokers (WHICH I AM NOT!!!), but not totally uncommon in white females. Moving forward...my next appointment is at 36 weeks (about a week and a half), and from that point on, I will have a non-stress test and ultrasound at each of my weekly appointments. He said IF the baby is showing signs of distress, we will induce immediately.

So, obviously, I'm a little freaked about the whole thing. I had been planning on at least another 6 weeks of incubation before Rylee comes along. Now, it could be much faster than that. I know it's unlikely that I'll go in for my next appointment and find out that I have to be induced that night, but I'm still a little worried that something like that would happen. After all, my friend had her first at 37 weeks, which is ONLY 3 weeks away. It really could be any time, potentially.

Or....nothing could happen. My placenta could stay at a Grade 1 until my due date, which is still officially the same. It's a waiting game.

...but, I'm getting my hospital bag together next weekend just in case!

1 props:

MrsV said...

Hang in there- it will be fine. They told me the same thing and nothing ever came of it, we made it to the due date. And if she comes a little early, it's probably just because she is so excited to meet her parents!