Sunday, December 27, 2009

Last week, we headed off to Myrtle Beach. It's sort of a family tradition we have because my grandparents always took us to MB during Christmas vacations growing up. I must have gone with them at least 5 times. We would swim in the hotel pool, go bowling at a nearby hotel, visit the Wacamaw Mall...I have so many memories of my many trips with my grandparents.

Here's some for you...
My grandpa used to always get me up bright and early in the morning so we could head to the beach to look for shells. It was like a g-pa/g-daughter thing we did together, and I'm so glad I have so many shells to help me remember these mornings.

On one such morning, I found a starfish. I wanted to throw it back out in the ocean, but my grandpa said it was already dead if it had washed up on shore. He had me bring it back to the hotel room and let it "dry out" (i.e. die). I still have that starfish, and it's one of my most prized possessions.

I remember going to souvenir shops. That was one thing we did ALL THE TIME. My grandparents loved to look at souvenirs, though I don't remember them buying much for themselves.

I remember stopping at this little tiny one-room church on the way to MB. It had like 6 tiny pews, 3 on either side. We always signed the guest book.

I remember Pappaw waking me (and anyone else in the van) up many, many times during the trip to tell us about different trees, tell us what he would do "if he owned that land," teach us about glass in the road pavement in SC, and show us what real cotton looks like when it's growing. He should be proud that he imparted so much information to us.

I remember arguing with my brother and cousin, lol.

I remember trips to the Dixie Stampede and getting a "boot" with the strawberry drink in it.

So, so, so many of my childhood memories are centered on MB. And I was lucky enough to make so many more on this trip.

For instance, this is what happens when you get Mammaw in an electric cart in the midst of aisles that are WAY TOO CLOSE...


And this is what you (or my mom and I) can do with a few bucks worth of Christmas decorations...




...and here they are from the beach...



Then, there was this...

...when we talked my grandma into posing like she was holding the palm tree up. Too, too funny. Wish I had gotten the close-up shot where you can tell she is posing like a model.

We got some family shots on the beach, but you'll need to excuse my pregnant blimpiness and ill-fitting sweater, lol...


We also went to the Dixie Stampede, which is like Medieval Times but with a holiday theme. While it's a little cheesy now, I remember thinking it was the coolest thing in the world when I was little.

The Preshow...




During the show, Rocky and Roberta got picked to be in the show. Pretty cool...


Well, at least they won :)

There was searching for shells...


...and plenty of Yahtzee, Boggle, and Catch Phrase...


But most importantly, there was time spent with family. Memories made with my awesome mother and my amazing g-ma. Times I'll never forget for the rest of my life...

1 props:

~Carla~ said...

It's neat to read your memories. Jared has many of the same memories of being at MB with grandma and grandpa. What a treasure chest of times past you guys have.