Thursday, June 10, 2010

If you'll remember from my last post, one of the pros of switching grade levels was that I didn't have to change classrooms. Well, I found out Monday evening (after a staff meeting that I was unable to attend) that it had been decided by our admin I WOULD be changing classrooms. I'm moving across the hall and our new 9th grade teacher will take over my room.

My initial reaction was, obviously, to get pretty pissed. This move is completely illogical. There is no rational reason to move me across the hall to what was once a computer lab (i.e. NO desks, no bookshelves, no closets, etc.) when there are two other rooms in my hall that will be open due to a retirement and a resignation. I have racked my brain over this, and I honestly cannot find the logic.

Another teacher was also moved, and his move is much farther than mine as he is currently in a completely different hallway. He was also not informed of the move prior to the staff meeting, and needless to say, is pretty pissed himself as he has been in his classroom for 9 years!

Because I don't see the logic or the rationale behind this, I find it in very poor taste that this decision was made and the people who were to be directly affected received no heads-up prior to the meeting in which everyone was informed. I especially find it in bad taste that I had to find out from peers through email and text messages instead of from my boss.

A classroom becomes a teacher's second home, whether that is fortunate or unfortunate, I don't know, lol...For 182 days a year (plus any summer days), the teacher spends more time in her classroom than at her own home! For the admin to simply decide, "Hey, you're moving" for NO APPARENT reason seems just wrong to me. How would a principal like it if the superintendent came in and said he/she could no longer use his/her office? They wouldn't.

To make matters worse, I went to the teacher work day yesterday hoping to get my room completely moved--one less thing to worry about over the summer, right? Well, my new room is being worked on, which means I can't move until later this summer, which ALSO means I now have to get my room moved without being paid for it. How fair is that? Ugh....

Luckily, I don't have that much to move, and Nathan is planning to come help me one day when he is off. As we further and further away from the initial shock of finding out I was losing my space, I feel slightly less perturbed by the whole matter. I DO feel like this was some sort of personal attack-type issue because of the lack of logic, but whomever made this decision has also given me a chance to get rid of some of the clutter from my class and redesign my space. I guess that is the positive of the whole situation.

If I could just teach and not be bothered/pestered by the administration, I would be sooooo thankful. But I guess we all have bosses no matter what field we are in.

0 props: