Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Last night during my marathon Twilight movie spectacular, I started thinking about something sort of random.

Think back to when you were a kid. Your parents took you to a park where other kids were running around and it would be mere minutes before you were elbows deep in the mud or running around a baseball diamond or chatting it up on the swings with complete strangers (other kids, I mean...not creepy old men or anything weird like that). Making friends and being social is natural for children; all it takes is a moment of commonality and *bam* you have a new friend.

Throughout your years in school, making new friends was as easy as starting a new school year or getting a new class schedule. Each new set of faces brought new opportunities for friendships; at the beginning of the school year, the person assigned to sit next to you may have been a stranger, but two weeks into the class, you were suddenly best buds and hanging out at the movies on the weekends.

College is when these friendships and this ability to make friends starts to wane. Suddenly, you are friends with your peers while in classes with them, but as soon as the final exam is finished, that friendship is over. You have that awkward moment of saying, "Uh...good luck in life. Nice to know you," then that person is gone just as quickly as they showed up.

Once college is finished, it seems like a person's ability to make and keep good friends is finished as well (at least in my life). I have two close friends that I have had since those friendship-foundation years in high school, and that's really about it. I can even feel the closeness of those friendships slipping away now as we all move on with marriages, families, careers, and life. Meeting people at this stage in life is not as easy as just showing up to the park or getting the luck of the draw in class; meeting people takes work and effort. You have to put yourself out there and talk to strangers--and where exactly do you GO to put yourself out there and talk to strangers? So much of social networking is done online these days, and if you aren't one to sit around on chatboards, Facebook, or forums, or if you don't have enough time to devote to building online relationships (and really, who does??), how does contemporary social networking extend to offline friendships?

I guess what I'm saying is I didn't realize how my social life was changing so drastically until I tried taking a Mommy's Night Off and realized I didn't have anyone to call. I didn't realize how much work maintaining friendships was until I started feeling like my closest friends were being pulled away by circumstances (the fact that my husband doesn't necessarily get along with either of my closest friends' significant others doesn't help either..). And I certainly didn't realize how important having a social circle was until I started thinking about what it would take to rebuild one.

3 props:

Kristen said...

I completely understand. My sister and I had this exact conversation today. Now for me, most of my friends have toddlers or older, and our lives aren't very parallel right now. Being an adult is not easy.

I'm usually always available ~ don't hesitate to call me! :)

SwtJess21 said...

I know exactly what you mean. I mean I have friends at work, etc, etc, but I only have a few "true" friends that I can count on, hang out with. Another thing when your married, alot of times , like you said, your spouse doesn't get along with your friend's spouse....THANKFULLY, we have met some really awesome couples and we all get along !!! But, being in the military we are having to leave those couples.... :( It's sad...cause now we have to make new friends in a whole new place. I'm a little nervous about it. In our case, alot of our friends/couples have children and we don't...so it makes it hard to do things. Jason and I LOVE children, but alot of times they go to bed early, you may wake them if you hang at their place...etc. It is weird how you come in life and new friends you meet and go. I'm going to be totally LOST in Oklahoma when we move. I'm not looking forward to that, but I do hope to eventually "sell" pampered chef and get to know some people there. That will be down the road of course, few months after.

Hugs...I know the feeling you are having right now. Some people are like but you have all these friends on your facebook...those aren't "true" friends. I honestly, have maybe 3 "true" friends I can count on and hang out with and have fun.

Ahhh, didn't mean to write you a book....but growing up, our friends were mainly church people....since we was homeschooled..but I've been able to re-connect with them through facebook and catch up on old times.

Talia said...

I know what you mean, too. I have quasi-friends from my old job, but I also have problems making friends. If you meet someone "cool", it's hard to know if they want to take that relationship from commenting on FB to actually doing stuff together. I don't know what I'll do once I move. But yeah, (small voice) I'll hang out with you if you like. I liked hanging out last summer, and I'm here for the next 2 months.